Faux Fettuccine on Meatless Monday
Sometimes I have cravings.
Ok, lots of times I have cravings. Like 30 minutes ago when I wanted ice cream so I stopped at Dairy Queen for a twist cone. Mmmm…
Most of the time I am also trying to eat healthy. So when I really want something creamy and cheesy for dinner, I need to find a substitute for cream, butter, and tons of cheese. Hence, this creation. I was going for something fettuccine-like without all the heavy calories. When my husband tasted it, he called it, “Disgustingly good.” I’ll take that as high praise for any dish that includes tofu! Heck, I don’t usually like tofu. I only had it in the fridge because it’s a food my 8 month old can eat.
I also had most of a giant patty pan squash that I needed to use. It has been awhile since I’ve had patty pan squash around, and this one was huge! I couldn’t remember how I had prepared them before, so I used part of it in a hash-like dish and needed to figure out something to do with the rest. So the patty pan squash became my substitute for pasta! It’s about the same color, has some bite to it, and really fit the bill. Bonus: squash is super healthy.
So here it is, Faux Fettuccine.
- 2 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 medium-large patty pan squash (a yellow squash or zucchini would also probably work fine)
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup silken tofu
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper
1. Finely chop the garlic, roughly chop the squash, dice the green pepper, and dice the carrot. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet and add all the veggies EXCEPT one of the garlic cloves. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vegetable broth, cover the pan, and let the veggies cook for 8-10 minutes while you prepare the sauce.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine the remaining garlic, tofu, cheese, oregano, and basil until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add the sauce ingredients to the veggies and stir until heated through. The cheese will start to melt into gooey deliciousness. Serve immediately.